If you're experiencing tooth pain or if you've suffered oral trauma, your trusted team at Strawman Family Dentistry is here to help. We're fully equipped and prepared to provide high-quality dental care to patients in Cincinnati, OH, and the surrounding communities. We offer same-day appointments to ensure you get the prompt emergency dental care you need for the best possible outcomes.
What Qualifies as a Dental Emergency?
If you're not quite sure if you're experiencing a dental emergency, consider the following questions:
- Do you have a severe, persistent toothache?
- Do you have any loose or knocked-out teeth?
- Do you have any broken, chipped, or cracked teeth?
- Do you have signs of infection, including swelling?
- Do you have a bump on your gums that looks like a pimple?
- Do you have severe bleeding from your mouth?
Any of the above scenarios means that you likely require urgent dental care. As a general rule, if you need treatment to control tooth pain, stop bleeding, fight an infection, or save a tooth, that qualifies as a dental emergency.
What Should You Do if You Have a Dental Emergency?
If you experience a dental emergency, please contact our office immediately. If you don't have pain but have dental concerns, such as a cracked tooth, broken dentures, or a lost filling, it's still important to seek help. We'd prefer that our valued patients err on the side of caution rather than risk complications. If you have an emergency outside our regular office hours, please contact our emergency after-hours number for guidance.
If you or a loved one experiences a life-threatening emergency, don't wait. Please call 911 immediately!
What Are Common Dental Emergencies?
At Strawman Family Dentistry, we treat a wide range of dental emergencies, including the following:
- Toothaches: Severe pain is always a sign that something's not quite right. The longer you wait, the more you risk complications. Rinse with warm water and floss to dislodge any trapped food between your teeth. If there's any swelling, apply a cold compress and take over-the-counter pain medication for temporary relief.
- Soft Tissue Injury: Gentle pressure with sterile gauze can help control bleeding of the tongue, lips, or cheeks and will reduce the chances of infection and complications. If you can't control the bleeding, get to your nearest emergency room for immediate attention.
- Knocked-Out Permanent Tooth: Recover the tooth and hold it by its crown, not the root. Rinse it gently without handling it. Try to place the tooth back into its socket if possible, or carry it in a cup of milk, water, or even your own saliva. Time is of the essence. The sooner you get emergency care, the better the chances you'll have of saving a knocked-out tooth.
- Chipped, Cracked, or Broken Tooth: Rinse the area with warm water and place a cold compress to reduce any possible swelling. Try to find any tooth fragments and bring them with you to your emergency appointment.
- An Abscess: This indicates a potentially serious infection that could cause a host of oral and overall health complications. If you have pain and see a bump or swelling on the gums, contact our dental office immediately for an emergency appointment.
- Swelling: Sudden swelling of the face or jaw may indicate an infection that requires urgent attention. An untreated infection can pose a serious risk to your health and may even be life-threatening. Contact us for an emergency appointment right away.
How to Avoid Dental Emergencies
While it's impossible to eliminate the risk of dental emergencies, there are some things you can do to help. Make sure to visit Strawman Family Dentistry for regular exams and cleanings every six months and brush and floss daily. Preventive care is one of the best ways to prevent oral health complications and dental emergencies down the road. If you grind and clench your teeth in your sleep or play high-impact sports, talk to our team about a protective custom mouthguard. Prevention is your best chance of avoiding a dental emergency.
Emergency Dentistry Near Me
At Strawman Family Dentistry, we understand how frightening dental emergencies can be. We're proud to offer same-day appointments and an after-hours emergency contact number, so you know we're a phone call away. You can always count on us for comfortable, compassionate care!
Call our Cincinnati office at 513-521-2100 today!
Request Your Appointment Today!
We make requesting an appointment time quick and easy. Follow the link to fill out our form to request your appointment. We can't wait to see you.